"...At one reading, the other students, who were all white, the teacher , and I sat in a circle. Mr. Wilkerson asked me to read a section, which ended with the words "God loves me." I read the piece and closed the book. the teacher said, "read it again." I pointedly opened the book and a bit sarcastically read, "God loves me." Mr. Wilkerson said, "Again." I wondered if I was being set up to be laughed at by the professional, older, all white company? After about the seventh repetition I becamenervous and thoughtthat there might be a little truth in the statement. There was a possibility that God really did love me, Maya Angelou. I suddenly began to cry at the gravity and grandeur of it all. I knew that if God loved me, then I could do wonderful things. I could try great things, learn anything, achieve anything. For what could stand against me, since one person, with God, constitutes the majority?..."
Wouldn't it be great if we all learned this as children instead of useless tales, racism, hatred and bad habits. Imagine the possibilities.

No comments:
Post a Comment